Marcus Anthony Eriz and Wynne Lee were arrested Sunday at their home in Costa Mesa, California, in connection with the shooting death of 6-year-old Aiden Leos. The two suspects were apprehended after more than two weeks on the run, as law enforcement investigated the May 21 road rage incident.
The couple, 24-year-old Marcus Eriz, and 23-year-old Wynne Lee, were taken into custody a day after Aiden’s family buried him, and are charged with his murder. Both Eriz and Lee are allegedly responsible for his death, after opening fire on his mother’s vehicle on the highway.
The incident began as a minor driver inconvenience when a white Sedan cut off Aiden’s mother, to which she flipped a hand gesture in response. The car then slipped behind Aiden’s car and someone within the vehicle opened fire, though which of the two suspects – Marcus Anthony Eriz or Wynne Lee -was directly responsible has not been revealed.
THE REWARD FOR THE KILLERS WAS $450,000 … CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE INFORMATION
A single bullet flew through the rear of the car, killing Aiden Leos, and the car in question sped off. Reports previously claimed that the vehicle was occupied by a female driver and a male passenger, though at the time their identities were unknown.
The incident on 55 Freeway on that tragic Friday morning sparked an uproar across LA and surrounding areas, with community leaders banning together and pooling resources to create a handsome reward. The more than $450,000 reward was offered to anyone who had information that could lead to an arrest, in an attempt to take the child killers off of California streets.
On the day of the incident, Aiden Leos’ mother, Joanna Cloonan, said she “pulled over and I took [Aiden] out of the car and I tried to put my hand on his wounds while calling 911. Because he was losing a lot of blood.” The mother shared her harrowing story on Good Morning America.
10-YEAR-OLD BOY SHOT DOWN IN QUEENS … HERE’S AN UPDATE ON THE VICIOUS KILLING
Aiden was then rushed to the hospital where he died. “I want nothing more than to find justice, though it won’t bring you back into my arms,” Cloonan said in her speech during her son’s open-casket memorial service at Calvary Chapel in Yorba Linda Saturday. “My precious son had his life ripped away for absolutely no reason.”
The two suspects, Marcus Anthony Eriz and Wynne Lee, are being held on $1 million bail at Orange County jail and will appear in court for the first time on Tuesday. California Highway Patrol Commissioner Amanda Rey declared that “on behalf of Border Division Chief Omar Watson, and the Santa Ana Area, we are deeply grateful for the professionalism and tireless commitment of our investigators who have worked on this case from day one to find those responsible for Aiden’s death.”
She continued, saying that “while these arrests will not ease the pain of a mother’s loss, my hope is for the Leos family to have some peace of mind and to rest assured the CHP will work with the Orange County District Attorney to bring justice for Aiden.” It’s unclear where the nearly $500,000 reward will be distributed, and if an individual turned in the runaway pair.
SURGE IN VIOLENCE IN NEW YORK CITY IS TERRIFYING PARENTS … HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Aiden’s sister, was among the most heartbroken at the loss of Aiden Leos, exclaiming at the memorial service that “we were supposed to grow up together and help each other through life.” She said: “I don’t get to play Mario Kart with my little brother or take him to the park ever again, and that breaks my heart. Because of the monsters that took Aiden’s life, I will never get to hug my brother again.”
Aiden Leos was someone who “wanted to make sure everyone was OK before you closed your eyes and ended your day.” The tragedy has rocked the local California community and ushered in another round of gun control discussions. As crime continues to surge across the country, it’s becoming more evident to officials that something needs to be done.
The family is relieved that Marcus Anthony Eriz and Wynne Lee are behind bars.