Alyssa Bonal has captured the hearts of Americans after fighting off a kidnapper in Florida this week. The 11-year-old girl was waiting at her bus stop at North Old Corry Field Road and Perdido Street when the kidnapper pulled up beside her.

“He had a knife in his hand. I tried running off, but he grabbed me,” Alyssa recounted. “He took me with his arm, and I was able to get him down to the ground, and I was able to get away.”

A shocking video shows Alyssa fighting the man, then escaping with her backpack and blue homemade slime that would convict the perpetrator. The man returned to his white Dodge Journey and drove back home, where police later found him trying to paint over his vehicle with black paint.

Alyssa Bonal, a dedicated fan of Law & Order SVU, claimed that she remembered to leave her slime on her body as evidence of the altercation. According to her mother, Amber Bonal, “She said, ‘Mom, I had to leave some sort of evidence behind, like on ‘Law & Order SVU.’ We’ve watched probably every episode on Hulu. She’s a smart cookie, she thinks on her toes. She got that slime everywhere.”

When the police tested the slime, they were able to identify the attacker as Jared Paul Stanga, who has been charged with attempted kidnapping, aggravated assault, and battery. In addition to the slime, police used the video footage to track Stanga down with his license plate number. Stanga was found with blue dye on his skin, leftover from the slime he touched when trying to kidnap Alyssa Bonal. He is now in jail on a $1.5 million bond.

“Ironically, on Sunday, the neighbor’s little girl was over at our house, and I don’t know how or why it got brought up, but I was telling them that if anyone ever tried to abduct you, you kick and scream and bite and yell,” Amber said. She seemed overwhelmed by how her daughter remembered the conversation days later when Stanga attempted to take her. “If she would have been taken, I could have lost her forever.”

Alyssa shared the thoughts going through her mind when the attack took place. “What is he going to do with me?” Alyssa said. “Where is he going to … where am I going to be at? What is my family going to think? Scared… anxious.”

According to the police, Alyssa did exactly was she should have. “She fought, and she fought, and she fought until finally, she was able to break free from her would-be captor,” Sheriff Chip Simmons said. The Sheriff sent the entire department– 50 deputies– to search for the suspect, who was found within 8 hours of the incident.

At the time of the attack, Alyssa’s mother had been inside, changing her baby’s diaper in her house, running late to the bus stop. Originally, Alyssa’s stop had been at the end of her driveway, but it was moved to a further location due to a bus driver shortage. Her mother, Amber, spoke directly to parents across the country after the attack.

“I want parents to be extra aware,” Amber said. “Even parents that watch their kids 24/7. The one time you don’t… that was the one time that I was running late.”

Sheriff Simmons reported that Alyssa escaped with a few scratches and minor trauma. “She did not give up,” Simons said. “She is my hero.”