Mike Tyson has announced that he is pro psychedelics. The former heavyweight boxer said he smoked psychedelic toad venom four years ago and it completely changed his life. Mike says that he “died” on his bizarre trip and it has made him a better man.
“I ‘died’ during my first trip. In my trips I’ve seen that death is beautiful. Life and death both have to be beautiful, but death has a bad rep. The toad has taught me that I’m not going to be here forever. There’s an expiration date,” said the 55-year-old at Wonderland, which is a Miami conference dedicated to psychedelics.
After that first trip, Mike Tyson has now smoked the toad venom over 50 times and has even smoked it multiple times a day. He is currently launching two different cannabis brands, one of which will mimic the effects he has during his psychedelic toad trips.
The toad venom comes from the Bufo alvarius, a Mexican amphibian which is also known as the Sonoran Desert Toad. The creature spends seven months during the year underground. When it is above ground, it’s venom can be smoked and cause a short trip, usually around 45 minutes.
The venom is extracted from the creature by milking the toad’s venom glands and then having the liquid dry into a paste. That paste is later crystalized into a substance that users can smoke.
This new drug has become popular among the rich and famous, despite the venom being illegal in the United States. When Mike Tyson took it for the first time, he only did it on a dare. The former boxer said the toad saved his life. Back then he was overweight, sad and lonely. He claims he is a new man now.
“People see the difference [in me],” he said. “It speaks for itself. If you knew me in 1989 you knew a different person. My mind isn’t sophisticated enough to fathom what happened, but life has improved. The toad’s whole purpose is to reach your highest potential. I look at the world differently. We’re all the same. Everything is love.”
The boxer even has a farm of personal toads on his property in Southern California and he hopes to one day sell the venom to eager trippers. With cities like Denver, Colo. and Oakland, Calif. making psychedelic mushrooms legal, this crazy dream of Tyson’s doesn’t seem so far off.
Experts warn that people looking to get involved with psychedelic toad venom should be careful. The venom of the Sonoran Desert Toad is not a recreational drug. During a trip, participants can have extreme emotional and physical reactions, such as crying and throwing up.
“It’s such an intense experience that, in most cases, doing it at a party isn’t safe,” said Alan K. Davis, a clinical psychologist at the Psychedelic Research Unit at Johns Hopkins University. “It’s not a recreational drug.”
Doctors also warn that too much of the drug can cause people to “white out.” It is important to have someone with knowledge of the drugs there to watch and monitor a potential trip. Users have reported that the toad venom can cause someone to disassociate with their body and the anxiety from it can last days. Some users even went to the hospital because of the toad venom.
Despite the dangers and legal complications, the drug has become very popular. Many people looking to partake in the United States buy the venom from “shamans” who smuggle it into the country from Mexico and sell it at high-end parties. A dose of psychedelic toad venom can cost you $200 to $500.
Some people say the drug has health benefits. Hunter Biden has said that the toad venom has helped him stay sober. Reality star Christina Haack has also allegedly taken the toad venom.
A study done by John Hopkins and Davis found that toad venom can help lessen the effects of depression. The professor found that 80% of the 362 participants said they had relief from their depression after consuming the toad venom.