The women, who were given pseudonyms in the Insider report and whose real names have not been revealed, said that they met with Portnoy for sex consensually but that the encounters “turned into frightening and humiliating experiences that have taken a toll on their mental health.”
According to Variety, the price of shares for Barstool Sports’ parent company Penn National Gaming fell by more than 20 percent Thursday after the Insider report was published.
Dave Portnoy Accused of ‘Violent’ Rough Sex
Two of the women who spoke with Insider told the outlet that they had met with Portnoy at his Nantucket, Massachusetts home in summer 2020 to engage in consexual sex, but that the 44-year-old was “violent” during the encounters.
One woman, who Insider called “Madison,” said that Portnoy began recording her during oral sex without her consent.
Later, “Madison” said Portnoy engaged in “rough sex” with her. She told Insider that she told Portnoy that it was “too much,” but that the Barstool Sports president only “went harder.”
“It was so painful,” she told the outlet. “I kept trying to get away and he was like, ‘Stop running away from me. Stop running away from me.’”
“Madison” also shared screenshots with Insider of a text conversation she had with a friend following the encounter with Portnoy. In the messages, she compared the experience to “being raped” and said the 44-year-old choked her so hard that she could not breathe.
Another woman, identified by Insider as “Allison,” said that Portnoy was “aggressive” when they allegedly had sex last year.
“He kept spitting in my mouth, which was really gross,” she reportedly told the outlet. “I was kind of scared. I didn’t want to disappoint him.”
“Allison” said she was hospitalized for depression after the encounter. She reportedly said that her mother wanted to press charges, but that she declined, telling Insider: “I knew he would drag me through the mud.”
Dave Portnoy Denies Sexual Misconduct Allegations
In two videos posted to Twitter just hours after the Insider report went public, Portnoy slammed the story as a targeted “hit piece” and denied ever doing “anything remotely nonconsensual.”
“Cancel culture has been coming for me for a decade. This is just the next iteration,” he said in the video statements.
Portnoy also indicated that he feared more “hit pieces” were to come.
“I’m scared because they’re asking for more. It’s like they’re asking the internet, ‘Tell us bad stories about Dave Portnoy,’” he said.
“Well guess what? A lot of f—ing people hate me. I guarantee this, they’ll never be able to prove anything. Nothing, because nothing’s ever happened. But I can’t stop ‘a he said, she said.’”
Portnoy’s company Barstool Sports also issued a statement Thursday, noting that the allegations were not work-related.
“We are not in the business of managing our employees’ personal lives, but we have made sure to have specific processes in place that encourage our colleagues to confidentially share any concerns they might have about their work environment,” the company said.
“This recent news does not involve any workplace behavior. As a matter of policy, we do not comment on the private lives of our employees, but we take this matter seriously and are monitoring it closely.”
According to NBC, Nantucket police have not responded to requests for comment. There do not appear to be any charges or lawsuits filed as a result of the allegations as of Thursday evening.