Daviyonne Dawson, 31, was arrested late Monday after a suspected connection to the deadly Sacramento shooting that killed six people and wounded a dozen others. Dawson was the third arrest following brothers Smiley Martin and Dandrae Martin, but none of the three men have been charged with homicide.
According to police, Daviyonne Dawson was arrested on charges of possession of a firearm by a prohibited person. The Martin siblings, found injured at the scene with firearms, were charged with the same crimes, but were not found to have any direct involvement with the mass shooting.
Dawson was seen carrying a gun “in the immediate aftermath” of the shooting, according to police. Sacramento officials later reported, however, that the gun they recovered from Daviyonne Dawson was not believed to have been used in the shooting.
“Detectives are continuing to investigate this crime and identify additional suspects,” police said.
After posting a $500,000 bail, Daviyonne Dawson was released from jail on Tuesday. Smiley Martin and Dandrae Martin remain in the hospital as they undergo treatment for serious injuries suffered at the scene.
Sacramento police are still searching for “multiple subjects” according to the Sacramento Bee, and have not charged any of the three men arrested in possible connection to the crime.
“As these processes occur, different and/or additional charges may apply,” police told NBC News. “The Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office will be reviewing all evidence to determine appropriate charges.”
A motive for the Sacramento shooting over the weekend also remains unclear as investigators try to uncover what happened at the scene that left six people dead and a dozen injured.
According to The Washington Post, gunfire was reported just after 2 a.m. on Sunday along a strip of nightclubs and bars in downtown Sacramento. Investigators reportedly recovered over 100 shell casings at the scene, as well as multiple handguns “converted to a weapon capable of automatic gunfire.”
Sacramento Police Chief Kathy Lester said in a press conference on Sunday that police saw a “very large crowd” and several victims of a shooting. She added that the crime scene was “very complex and complicated,” and that a “large fight” was believed to have occurred prior to the shooting.
Sgt. Zach Eaton, a police spokesman, told The Washington Post that they have video evidence from social media of a sidewalk brawl that may have led to gunfire, but that “we can’t confirm if that fight is what caused the shooting, or if there were two things going on at once.”
Police are encouraging members of the Sacramento community to submit photos and videos related to the investigation to a QR code database, where they have collected roughly 170 pieces of data so far, according to local KCRA 3 News.
According to police, Sunday’s mass shooting was the deadliest in Sacramento’s history.
The six victims, all identified by authorities, ranged in age from 21 to 57 years old. Over 100 people gathered in downtown Sacramento for a vigil on Monday, paying their respects to Johntaya Alexander, 21; Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21; Devazia Turner, 29; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; Sergio Harris, 38; and Melinda Davis, 57.
Jackie Henderson, cousin of victim Sergio Harris, spoke at the vigil and pleaded for stricter legislation to get guns off of the streets in Sacramento.
“A change has to start,” Henderson said. “When the hell are we going to let it start?”