Police have arrested a suspect in connection with a shocking execution-style murder of Delia Johnson in Brooklyn in August. The suspect was picked up in Jacksonville, Florida and is waiting to be brought back to New York to face charges.

The 42-year-old suspect has not been named, and police have not verified whether there was a link to Johnson. Family of the victim said they believe the woman in the surveillance footage is a former close friend of the family.

NYPD Police Commissioner Dermot Shea posted about the arrest on Twitter and said, “You can run, but the long arm of the law will find you. The woman responsible for the August 4th murder of a Brooklyn woman has been apprehended by our partners in Jacksonville, Florida.”

Details about the suspect’s arrest have yet to be released.

Delia Johnson was killed on the streets of New York on August 4. The suspect in her execution-style killing was recently arrested in Florida. (Credit: Facebook)
Delia Johnson was killed on the streets of New York on August 4. The suspect in her execution-style killing was recently arrested in Florida. (Credit: Facebook)

The execution-style killing of Delia Johnson took place a couple months ago on the streets of Crown Heights. Heartbreaking surveillance video showed Johnson talking with a group of people while leaning against a pole. The victim was wearing a bright pink dress when the suspect came up behind her and shot her point-blank in the back of the head.

The suspect was identified in the video as a blond woman wearing black leggings and a black sweatshirt with a dense build.

The suspect then calmly walked off and got into a double-parked white sedan. The murder happened at 9:30 p.m. on Franklin Avenue. When police arrived, they found Johnson unconscious, and she had gunshot wounds to her head and leg.

She was rushed to Interfaith Hospital and was sadly pronounced dead.

The victim’s brother, Mathis Johnson, spoke to reporters around the time of his sister’s murder and said that he believed the suspect had followed his sister from a funeral that they all had attended earlier in the day.

He said, “She was at a funeral earlier in the evening for an old neighborhood friend to pay her respects, and then this happened. It was horrible. That lady executed my sister.”

Other family members believed that Johnson was set up by the woman and they said that Johnson received a phone call earlier in the day to be on Franklin Avenue around that time. Police have yet to figure out a motive for the senseless killing.

Delia’s mother, Delia Barry, told the media that she recognized the young woman who shot her daughter. After the tragic killing of Johnson, her mother said, “Oh my God, oh my God, she used to stay with us. She slept in my bed, ate my food.”

Since the arrest of the suspect, Johnson’s family is grateful that they finally have someone to hold accountable for the death of their loved one. The family has yet to make a statement about the arrest.

“I just hope that you realize what you did and [I] wonder what made you do such a thing,” said Ladeya Jenkins, the 17-year-old daughter of Delia Johnson during her mother’s wake.

A GoFundMe was set up for the mother and daughter. According to the fundraiser, the money will go toward funeral costs and support for Jenkins. So far over $5,000 have been raised with a goal of $25,000.

Family and friends are trying to remember the good times that they had with their loved one. The victim’s mother said that her daughter excelled at everything she put her mind to, including piano, tap dancing, and caretaking. The older woman said that when she got sick, it was her daughter who came and helped her in the hospital.