Elton John was forced to postpone his ‘Farewell Yellow Brick Road’ Tour until 2023 for a second time after his doctors told him that his hip required surgery. The 74-year-old British singer suffered from a minor hip injury recently and has since been told that it would be best to halt the tour for the next two years to have an operation. Doctors said he needs to spend time in physical therapy before continuing to perform.
“It is with great sadness and a heavy heart that I am forced to rescheduled the 2021 dates of my Farewell Yellow Brick Road tour in Europe and the U.K. to 2023,” Elton John wrote in an official statement shared to his Twitter page.
“At the end of my summer break I fell awkwardly on a hard surface and have been in considerable pain and discomfort in my hip ever since,” Elton explained. “Despite intensive physio and specialist treatment, the pain has continued to get worse and is leading to increasing difficulties moving.”
“I have been advised to have an operation as soon as possible to get me back to full fitness and make sure there are no long-term complications,” he said. “I will be undertaking a program of intensive physiotherapy that will ensure a full recovery and a return to full mobility without pain.”
Elton John ensured that his appearance on Sep. 25 at the Global Citizen event would still take place since he doesn’t want to “let a charity down.” It will also be very different because performing five songs is very different than what a full tour demands.
“I know how patient my incredible fans have been since Covid halted touring last year,” he said, “and it breaks my heart to keep you waiting any longer. I completely feel your frustrations after the year we’ve had. I promise you this – the shows will return to the road next year and I will make sure they are more than worth the wait.”
He hopes that his January 2022 date in New Orleans, La., won’t be canceled since he’ll have time to recover. He is ready to kick off the long-postponed tour. Stretching the tour to now end in 2024 means that Elton John will be nearly 77-year-old by the time his “final” tour is through. “I really miss being on the road and performing for my beloved fans,” he wrote around this time last year.
While some fans were overjoyed that the shows have not been canceled, others called for their money back.
“The government really needs to step in here and get refunds sorted,” one commenter wrote. “Poor from Elton.”
Others weren’t so cruel, though some have been waiting for a very long time. Another commenter wrote, “5 years I will have had my ticket. #getwellsoonelton.”
Last week, Elton announced the release of his new compilation album, The Lockdown Sessions, which is set to arrive on Oct. 22.
Featuring remixes of his most famous songs such as “Rocket Man” and “Sacrifice,” The Lockdown Sessions album is set to feature Rina Sawayama, Years & Years, Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Young Thug, Charlie Puth, Dua Lipa, Lil Nas X, Brandi Carlile, Nicki Minaj, Steve Wonder, and Steve Nicks.
“All the tracks I worked on were really interesting and diverse, stuff that was completely different to anything I’m known for, stuff that took me out of my comfort zone into completely new territory,” he said. “And I realized there was something weirdly familiar about working like this.”
“At the start of my career, in the late 60s, I worked as a session musician,” Elton explained. “Working with different artists during lockdown reminded me of that. I’d come full circle: I was a session musician again. And it was still a blast.”