Oxford police have identified Ethan Crumbley as the Oxford high school shooter. The suspect was first picked up by police Tuesday after he allegedly started shooting at the Michigan high school. He has refused to talk and has retained a lawyer. Police continue to look for a motive in the shooting.
A fourth victim, 17-year-old Justin Shilling died Wednesday morning at around 10:45 a.m. So far, four people have died and seven students were injured during the Oxford school shooting. The other victims are 16-year-old Tate Myre, 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, and 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin.
The Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald spoke Wednesday and said that she is planning on charging Ethan Crumbley as an adult. His charges will include one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder, 12 counts of possession of a firearm to commit a felony and seven counts of assault with intent to murder.
According to McDonald, Oakland County is considering charging Crumbley’s parents for their involvement. Police reports said that the gun used during the shooting, a 9mm Sig Sauer SP 2022 pistol, was purchased four days earlier by the 15-year-old’s father.
If the suspect is found guilty, he could face life in prison.
Crumbley’s parents told their son not to talk to police. Oxford police officers need the parent’s permission to speak to the 15-year-old.
While police continue to look for a motive for the crime, fellow Oxford students said that Crumbley was allegedly bullied at school and that there were rumors that he had previously threatened the school and was planning to shoot his fellow peers.
“There are facts leading up to this shooting that suggests this was not just an impulsive act,” McDonald said.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael J. Bouchard previously denied the internet rumors and said that the police have to finish their investigation to fully understand the tragic shooting. He said that Crumbley had no previous issues with the police department, and he didn’t seem to have a disciplinary record at school. Officers are now looking through Ethan Crumbley’s social media to figure out a motive.
Bouchard went on CNN Wednesday and said that evidence showed that the suspect went to the high school and planned to kill. He said, “He was shooting people at close range, oftentimes towards the head or chest. It’s just absolutely cold-hearted murderous. And our forensic team was working all night and so far, I believe they recovered over 30 shell casings. So, we believe he fired at least 30 shots.”
In a now deleted Instagram account, Ethan Crumbley allegedly bragged about the gun that his father had bought and claimed it as his own. His Instagram bio allegedly said, “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of world’. See you tomorrow, Oxford.”
It is unclear if any of the victims or injured students were targeted in Ethan Crumbley’s shooting and whether any of them were involved in his rumored bullying.
The 15-year-old suspect was arrested Tuesday without incident. He was taken to a juvenile detention center and was being held on suicide watch.
“We believe he came out of a bathroom with a weapon in hand. Deputies took (the gun) from him he was walking down the hall,” Bouchard said. “That interrupted what could have led to several more victims. The way I see it is, there were seven more victims in that gun.”
During the shooting, the suspect was allegedly going from classroom to classroom and pretending to be a police officer. A video of students hiding in a classroom showed the moment when the 15-year-old allegedly knocked on the door. The terrified students escaped out the window and were rescued by Oakland County police. Reports said that students protected themselves with scissors.