Police believe they found the remains of Felicia Cox, the missing Mississippi woman who disappeared in 2007 and who was believed to have been killed by her brother-in-law, David Neal Cox. Cox recently confessed to the murder of his sister-in-law and was able to give police a hand-drawn map that led to her body.

According to police, her body was found on Sunday after officers spent three hours digging in an area on Cane Creek Road in Pontotoc County, Mississippi. The area where the body was found used to belong to Felicia’s family. The remains were found around 1 p.m. Sunday.

Officers used cadaver dogs, ground-penetrating radar, old satellite images and David Neal Cox’s map to pinpoint where the body was buried. Much of the map, which included locations of mobile homes and sheds, were inaccurate because those structures had been torn down since the sister-in-law’s death.

David Neal Cox left a map after his execution that pointed to the location of his sister-in-law's remains. (Credit: First Circuit District Attorney's Office, Josh Weddle)
David Neal Cox left a map after his execution that pointed to the location of his sister-in-law’s remains. (Credit: First Circuit District Attorney’s Office, Josh Weddle)

Police believe that David Neal Cox was the only person involved in the death of Felicia Cox, but they have not released cause of death for the body. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday and officers are hopeful that it will provide more information for the investigation.

First Circuit District Attorney John Weddle and other members of the Pontotoc County Sheriff’s Department are grateful that Felicia’s family finally has answers to their loved one’s disappearance and can finally focus on laying her to rest.

Weddle said, “For the family to get some closure on a missing person’s case that’s that old is important to them. And of course, it’s important to law enforcement to finally get some answers on this case after so long.”

Felicia’s daughter, Amber Miskelly, and other family members were present when police found the remains and were able to view the site after it was determined safe by officers. The young woman said that her goal is to have a proper burial for her mother.

“Finding her meant everything to me and getting her a proper burial is my goal now,” said Amber Miskelly.

The remains of Felicia Cox were found after David Neal Cox confessed to her murder and left a map so police could find her buried body. (Credit: Amber Miskelly Facebook)

Shortly before his Nov. 17 execution, David Neal Cox admitted to killing his sister-in-law. The Mississippi man was executed for the 2012 murder of his ex-wife, Kim Kirk Cox, and the sexual assault of his then 12-year-old stepdaughter.

According to the executed murderer, he regretted his sister-in-law’s death and wanted to give her family some closure before he was gone. He told his attorney about the killing in Oct. 2021 and then waived his attorney-client privilege for after his death.

His attorney told Weddle about the confession two days after Cox was executed. Cox’s execution was the first one in Mississippi in nine years.

After the confession, Weddle had a press conference to inform the public about the new information. He said, “We would like to stress that locating the remains of Felicia Cox is not a foregone conclusion. We are hopeful that the information is accurate and that recovery efforts will be successful so that Felicia’s family may give her a proper burial.”

Felicia Cox was last seen July 2, 2007, after visiting Kim Kirk Cox. The 40-year-old’s car was later discovered abandoned in Randolph, Miss. Police long suspected that the executed murderer had something to do with his sister-in-law’s disappearance, but they had no evidence until his confession.

Miskelly, who was just 18 at the time of her mother’s disappearance, recently revealed that David Neal Cox was the last person to see her mother alive.

To cover her burial costs, Felicia’s family has set up a GoFundMe page for the Mississippi mother. So far, the page has raised over $970 with a goal of $7,500. Family members are also selling T-shirts to support the family and remember Felicia Cox.