Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola, the 26-year-old who was dumped at a Los Angeles hospital after a night out with friend Christy Giles, was pronounced brain dead, her father told reporters Saturday. 

Cabrales-Arzola and 24-year-old Giles reportedly disappeared while partying in L.A. earlier this month. The next day, the pair were found unconscious outside two different area hospitals. Giles was pronounced dead that weekend, and Cabrales-Arzola had been in critical condition for weeks. 

Now, her father told The Sun, doctors believe the Cabrales-Arzola will never recover. “We were already expecting it to be bad news and we’re trying to take it with a lot of strength,” he said

Her family planned to remove her from life support by Monday — the day she would have turned 27. 

What Happened to Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola and Christy Giles? 

According to Jan Cilliers, Christy Giles’ husband, she and Cabrales-Arzola were at a warehouse party in downtown L.A. on Nov. 12, when three men invited them to an afterparty in the Hollywood Hills. 

At 5:30 that morning, Cilliers said, Giles texted Cabrales-Arzola: “‘let’s get out of here’” followed by the “wide eye emoji.” Cabrales-Arzola reportedly agreed and responded that she had called an Uber. 

Around this time, her husband said, Giles’ cellphone records showed the friends were in a Beverly Hills apartment — miles from the afterparty to which they were invited. Neighbors to the apartment would later tell reporters they heard voices “moaning in pain” for hours the next day. 

Christy Giles was partying with Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola in LA on Nov. 12. The next day, they were dumped at the hospital. Now, Giles is dead, and Cabrales-Arzola is brain dead. LAPD is investigating the matter.
Christy Giles was partying with Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola in LA on Nov. 12. The next day, they were dumped at the hospital. Now, Giles is dead, and Cabrales-Arzola is brain dead. LAPD is investigating the matter. Photo credit: Instagram

The women did not leave in an Uber, and were later found dumped outside of two L.A. hospitals. Giles was dead, and Cabrales-Arzola was reported to be in critical condition for two weeks. 

Both Cilliers and Giles’ mother, Dusty, said hospital surveillance video captured masked men pulling up to the hospitals in a car without license plates and abandoning the unconscious women. Police have not acknowledged the video, and the footage has not been released. 

According to Cilliers, doctors found heroin in Cabrales-Arzola’s system, and planned to test Giles’ remains for the same. But he and Christy’s mother both said they didn’t believe either woman would voluntarily take the drug, and speculated that it was slipped to them by the men with whom they left the party. 

LAPD is continuing to investigate the incident and has not commented publicly on the matter. But a statement from Cabrales-Arzola could have been invaluable to investigators, and her death is sure to complicate the inquiry. 

Cabrales-Arzola is Brain Dead, Her Dad Says

Luis Cabrales-Rivera, Hilda’s father, confirmed to The Sun that his daughter had tested positive for heroin. He agreed with Giles’ family that the 26-year-old would never have taken the drug willfully. 

“Hilda told me that she would sometimes smoke marijuana to help her to get to sleep but the drugs that were found in her system were not drugs she would have taken herself,” he said

“Her mother is a doctor, her stepfather is a doctor and they have always told her that she should not take opioids because they could cause irreparable damage or cardiac arrest,” Cabrales-Rivera continued. “She was informed about all that and wouldn’t have consciously taken anything like that.” 

Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola and Christy Giles died under mysterious circumstances
Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola and Christy Giles died under mysterious circumstances, after they were found dumped at LA hospitals following a night of partying with unnamed men. A police investigation is ongoing, though their families believe they were drugged by the men, Photo credit: GoFundMe

While no cause of death has been officially revealed, opiate overdoses depress the central nervous system and inhibit breathing, according to SAMHSA. The resultant lack of oxygen in the brain can lead to a coma, or brain death. 

The grieving father also said that Christy Giles’ toxicology report, which has not been released, showed that she too had heroin in her system at the time of her death. 

According to her father, Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola’s organs will be donated after she is removed from life support. Her mother, sister, and stepmother will travel to Los Angeles from Mexico to say their goodbyes. 

Her father said Cabrales-Arzola was an aspiring architect and college grad who had recently moved to California from her hometown of Monterrey, Mexico. She was reportedly working as an interior designer at the time of her death. 

Questions Loom Over Mysterious Deaths

The men with whom Christy Giles and Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola spent their final hours have not been publicly identified, though two of them have been interviewed by police. They reportedly claimed the women “accidentally overdosed.”

LAPD is keeping quiet about the ongoing investigation, but Cabrales-Arzola’s father said he spoke with police about the case. 

“They told us that for the LAPD this is personal because the people behind this have done it before but it had never gone as far as this,” Luis Cabrales-Rivera said. “The detectives told us they’re indignant that these guys had the chance to save Hilda and Christy’s lives but preferred to abandon them to their luck.” 

One of the three men has been described by The Sun as an “underground pornographer.” Another has reportedly not cooperated with investigators. 

Who were the men with Christy Giles the night she died? Her husband said the men who dumped her body at the hospital were wearing all black, bandanas, and driving a car without plates.
Who were the men with Christy Giles and Hilda Marcela Cabrales-Arzola the night before they were dumped at two LA hospitals? Questions loom large, after Cabrales-Arzola was pronounced brain dead. Photo credit: Instagram

Some, including Giles’ mother, believe that the men drugged and sexually assaulted the two women in the hours before they were dumped at the hospital. Police said earlier this month that they were investigating the possibility, but have not confirmed their findings. 

Cilliers previously told reporters that he was contacted by strangers, who described one of the unnamed men as “creepiest of the creeps.”

“I’ve heard stories that have apparently been going on throughout the years,” Giles’ husband said. “Two of his ex-girlfriends reached out and warned us about him. I know that police haven’t contacted him yet and that he hasn’t made himself available.”

As the investigation continues, Cabrales-Arzola’s father is joining Giles’ family in demanding answers. 

“We want justice to be done for Hilda and Christy,” he said. “And for no one else to have to go through this again.”