Jeremy Arrington was convicted for a group of 2016 Newark murders that shook the Essex County community at the time. The N.J. man killed two children and stabbed three others, including a college student. Arrington allegedly attacked the group because he had become angry about a Facebook post.

During the court hearing on Saturday, Jeremy Arrington was found guilty of 28 charges, including three murder charges, three counts of attempted murder and other charges relating to burglary, criminal restraint and weapons.

His trial lasted 10 days and 25 people took the stand. He is scheduled to be sentenced on April 8 and he could face life in prison.

After the conviction, Deputy Chief Assistant Prosecutor Justice Edwab released a statement and thanked those who took the stand. He said, “We are forever grateful to the courageous survivors and witnesses who testified as well as the investigative personnel who helped bring this defendant to justice. Hopefully this verdict will bring some form of justice to all of the families and friends affected by this defendant’s horrific actions.”

The Newark murders occurred in November 2016. Jeremy Arrington broke into the Whitehurst home in the middle of the day with a gun. He tied up the victims before he tortured them with kitchen knives. Arrington went into the Newark home on the 100 block of Hedden Terrace and stabbed 8-year-old Aerial Little Whitehurst and 11-year-old Al-Jahon Whitehurst. He also shot Syasia McBurroughs, 23, of Cedar Knolls. McBurroughs was a college student who had been visiting the family.

Jeremy Arrington Newark Murders
Aerial Little Whitehurst and Al-Jahon Whitehurst were killed during the 2016 Newark murders. Jeremy Arrington stabbed them in their home because of a Facebook post. (Credit: GoFundMe)

The 29-year-old children’s mother, and her two twin 13-year-old daughters were also there at the time of the attack. They survived the attack. Jeremy Arrington tied them up before shooting and stabbing the others. One of the twins was able to escape. She called 911 from a closet.

“The proofs revealed Arrington (then) proceeded to torture them by stabbing them with kitchen knives. The attack was apparently prompted by a comment on Facebook,” said Acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore N. Stephens, II.

The Newark bloodbath was reportedly prompted by a Facebook post. The post was an alert about Jeremy Arrington, which labeled him as a suspect in an earlier shooting and sexual assault incident. According to reports, one of the stabbing victims shared the alert. According to reports, Arrington became angry and attack.

After the attack, Newark police offered at $20,000 for information about Jeremy Arrington prior to his arrested. The former Newark Mayor Ras Baraka at the time called the Newark murders “one of the most tragic and savage,” he’s ever seen.

Jeremy Arrington was taken into custody the next day in a Newark home. The N.J. man got into a standoff with the Newark police. Several members of SWAT were at the scene of the crime because Arrington had barricaded himself inside the home.

After the stabbing, Aerial Little Whitehurst and Al-Jahon Whitehurst were taken to the University Hospital in Newark where they were pronounced dead. Syasia McBurroughs was pronounced dead on the scene by police.

23-year-old Syasia McBorroughs was shot during the 2016 home invasion. Arrington was just charged with 28 counts, including her murder. The NJ man could face life in prison. (Credit: Facebook)

Following the stabbing, a GoFundMe page was started for Aerial Little Whitehurst and Al-Jahon Whitehurst. The page said, “Ariel and Al-Jahon were beloved children who will be dearly missed by their family, friends, and teachers in the Newark community.   We are raising money to help pay for funeral, medical, and other expenses for the Whitehurst family.  After the tragic loss of Ariel and Al-Jahon, we do not want their family to worry about financial matters.”

The page raised over $34,000 with an original goal of $25,000. People are still able to donate to the family.