Travis Scott announced through legal documents on Monday that he was asking for one of the many Astroworld lawsuits to be dismissed. He issued a “general denial” to a case filed on behalf of Jessie Garcia, a festival goer who alleges that he was in the crowd at the Astroworld Music Festival.
Filed against Travis Scott, his company Jack Enterprises, and his record label Cactus Jack, Jessie Garcia’s lawsuit was asked to be dropped “with prejudice,” according to Complex News. In legal documents obtained by TMZ, Travis Scott’s “general denial” will act as a blanket document response to any lawsuits that come before him, and denies responsibility for the events of Astroworld.
“Any time I could make out, you know, anything that’s going on… I just stop my show and, you know, helped them get the help they need,” he previously said in a video response to the horrific concert. “I could just never imagine the severity of the situation.”
After an over-attended crowd surged the venue at NRG Park in Houston on Nov. 5, 10 people were killed in the chaos, including 9-year-old fan Ezra Blount. Another 300 attendees have claimed physical injuries from the festival, with over 275 lawsuits filed in response.
The court has yet to rule on any of the cases, but Variety reported last week that the over 250 cases are currently being consolidated into one lawsuit due to their similar claims and sheer volume of plaintiffs. Attorneys on both sides have reportedly filed a motion to combine their multiple lawsuits together so that they could be heard at the same time before a single judge.
According to court records, the plaintiffs have agreed to the move, since many of the defendants–Travis Scott, Live Nation, NRG Park, Drake, Apple Music–remain the same. If combined, the “multi-district litigation” would therefore only require one response from Travis Scott.
“Nearly every petition alleges the same or similar common fact questions related to the alleged negligence—such as failures of safety and security rules, crowd control and emergency response measures, and failures to provide adequate security, supervision, training, and care,” the motion read.
It is not known which lawyer will represent the case, or if they will pool their resources together to all tackle the plaintiff’s claims. High-profile attorney Benjamin Crump is attached to many of the lawsuits, including one on behalf of Ezra Blount’s family.
Travis Scott previously said that he was “devastated” by the event and has tried to reach out the families of those who lost loved ones.
“You know my fans really mean the world to me, and I always really wanna leave them with a positive experience,” he said.
Offering to pay the funeral expenses for those who passed away, over half of the families, including Ezra Blount’s family, have turned the rapper down due to pending litigations.
“To lose a child in the manner Treston lost Ezra compounds the pain,” the family’s attorney wrote in a letter back to Travis Scott. “This isn’t a photo-op story here. This is a ‘who’s responsible and why’ type of investigation. And he’s on the shortlist.”
Earlier in the week, Travis Scott was also accused of abandoning a pregnant Kylie and their daughter Stormi, 3, despite the claims being completely untrue.
Sources with direct knowledge of the couple claimed that the couple are very much in love and are excited to welcome their second child together. Kylie and Travis are “100% together and are dating exclusively,” according to the source. A leaked story from W Magazine attempted to sow the discourse, but the story was scrapped following the Astroworld Festival tragedy.
A spokesperson for the magazine told The Sun that, “It was the decision of everyone involved to not focus on the December cover that was scheduled out of respect for the families and individuals involved in Astroworld and to allow grieving for the families.”
A trial date for the Astroworld lawsuits has yet to be official announced.