Justin Shilling, a 17-year-old Oxford High School senior, died from injuries sustained during Tuesday’s mass shooting in Michigan, according to local reports.
He becomes the fourth victim of the deadly attack that killed three other students and wounded seven, including one teacher.
The 15-year-old Oxford student suspected of carrying out the massacre has just been identified by police as Ethan Crumbley, and he was reportedly taken into custody at the scene and is being held in a juvenile lock-up. He was arraigned on murder charges early Wednesday, a police source said.
A local report published the morning after the shooting claimed that the alleged gunman posted ominous threats and a “countdown” clock to social media some time before the attack. His account has since been removed, according to the outlet.
Justin Shilling Becomes Fourth Victim in Oxford Shooting
According to Local 4 News, Oxford senior Justin Shilling died at around 10:45 Wednesday morning in the area hospital where he was being treated for injuries sustained in the Tuesday shooting.
Prior reporting indicated only one 17-year-old boy among the wounded, and claimed the student was in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the hip. It’s not clear if the original reporting was in error, or if Shilling’s condition quickly deteriorated in the final hours of his life.
Hana St. Juliana, 14, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17, were declared dead at the scene. Another victim, 16-year-old Tate Myre, died en route to the hospital, Breaking Daily News has reported.
In a Facebook post by the mother of an Oxford classmate, Shilling was remembered as “a gentleman,” “a ladies’ man,” and “funny as hell.”
Other friends of the slain high school senior mourned his loss early on Wednesday.
“R.I.P Justin,” said a coworker. “You are an awesome kid. Thoughts and prayers to the Shilling family.”
On the Oxford Athletics website, Shilling is listed as a member of the school’s golf team and a co-captain of the bowling squad.
Oxford Shooting Suspects Posted Threats on Social Media: Reports
According to a local report, the unnamed 15-year-old suspect wrote vague threats to the school and its students on social media in a now-deleted post.
“Now I become death — destroyer of worlds,” he apparently said in a post on his since-removed Instagram page. “See you tomorrow Oxford.” Fox 2 Detroit did not report when the post was published, but claimed it included a photo of a “countdown” clock.
The Detroit Free Press wrote that “someone” had previously posted a photo of the handgun police believe was used in the shooting. Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard confirmed that the suspect posted a photo of the weapon, but added that his office was not aware of any violent threats before Tuesday’s massacre.
However, parents of some Oxford students told the newspaper that rumors of an attack were circulating before Tuesday. So serious was the threat that some parents said they kept their children home from school that day.
The unnamed suspect is in custody at Children’s Village juvenile detention in Pontiac, but is reportedly not cooperating with police investigators. Bouchard told Local 4 News that his parents have instructed him not to speak with authorities and have hired a lawyer.
The sheriff has also said investigators believe the 9mm Sig Sauer SP 2022 pistol allegedly used in the shooting belonged to the suspect’s father. Bouchard told reporters the weapon was purchased on Black Friday, only days before the carnage at Oxford High.