Luis Gabriel Ramos was arrested in Arizona after he allegedly committed a double murder in New York. He is suspected in the killings of Isabella Triano, 70, and her daughter, Trisha Miller, 38. Ramos was released just a week prior to the murders after being charged with one count of arson.

Mother and daughter were found in their Shipman Avenue home in Yonkers on Monday after a friend asked police to do a wellness check. Police believe that the women were stabbed sometime between Oct. 29 and Nov. 1.

Miller, who worked at the local Burger King, and her mother, who worked as a custodian at Yonkers Public Schools, had not been seen for several days.

Ramos was later arrested on Wednesday in Salome, Arizona, by an FBI fugitive task force. Officers believe that after he stabbed Triano and Miller, he drove from New York to Arizona and was trying to cross the border into Mexico. He was picked up 150 miles from the border.

Luis Gabriel Ramos, who committed a double murder in Yonkers, New York, was picked up in Arizona by a FBI fugitive task force. (Credit: Yonkers Police Department)
Luis Gabriel Ramos, who committed a double murder in Yonkers, New York, was picked up in Arizona by a FBI fugitive task force. (Credit: Yonkers Police Department)

After Ramos was picked up in Arizona, the Yonkers Police Department held a press conference and said that they were actively trying to get the fugitive extradited back to New York.

They told the community not to worry because they believed that the double murder was an isolated incident and that Ramos had some sort of relationship with Miller and Tiano.

“We want to make sure that the public understands that they can rest easy that there’s not someone out here doing this kind of thing on a random basis,” said Yonkers Police Commissioner John Mueller. “We think that the perpetrator knew the victims.”

It is unclear what Ramos’ motive was. According to the investigation, both women suffered multiple stab wounds and were found in different rooms of the house. A back window was found broken, but police are unsure if that was from forced entry or from the already deteriorating conditions of the house.

Yonkers police were able to gain valuable information from one of the suspect’s ex-girlfriends, who was able to give the location of Luis Gabriel Ramos so he could be arrested.

The detectives’ hard work was praised by Westchester County District Attorney Miriam Rocah who said, “This is an example of law enforcement at its absolute best. Working with urgency, our law enforcement partners at the federal, state and local level, and in other states, worked together to make sure that the suspect in a brutal stabbing of a mother and daughter was apprehended and charged. We are so grateful to our partners and their dedication to pursuing justice.”

Mueller, who also praised his men and the members of the FBI, said that the investigation was particularly hard because the mother and daughter’s home had a hoarding problem. According to police, because of the trash that was found cluttering the inside and outside of the home, it was hard for officers to gather evidence.

Police continue to gather evidence at the home and officers are required to wear hazmat suits to keep themselves safe.

Neighbors had complained about the conditions of the home for a while and, according to Yonkers Police, officers were last called to the home back in 2012 for a wellness check.

This is not the first time that Luis Gabriel Ramos has been in trouble with the law. One week prior to the murders, Ramos had been picked up and arrested on a third-degree arson charge in Wappingers Falls, New York on Oct. 26.

Police released Ramos without bail and he went on to kill the Yonkers mother and daughter.

“Unfortunately he was released on his own recognizance at the time. Then fast forward a week later: We have two women that are murdered,” said Mueller.

According to Ryan LeGrady, a senior assistant district attorney in Dutchess County, the arson charge that Ramos was arrested for was not eligible for bail.

The investigation into the two murders is ongoing.