Pharoah Devonell Williams turned himself in Monday after police accused him of injuring seven people during a shooting in Athens-Clark County Sunday. The Georgia man reportedly walked into the Wilkes County Jail and gave himself over to authorities.

The 21-year-old man was considered “armed and dangerous” after shooting into a crowd of people amidst a fight early Sunday morning. Seven people were injured during the incident though all of them were taken to the hospital with minor injuries. All the victims are expected to survive.

Pharoah Devonell Williams was the prime suspect in the shooting investigation. In its statement Sunday, the Athens-Clarke County Police Department said it “responded to a shooting in the area of East Clayton Street and North Jackson Street,” around 2:00 a.m. According to its preliminary investigation, the shooting occurred after a “large fight broke out.”

Pharoah Devonell Williams turned himself in Monday after police filed a warrant for his arrest. Williams was accused of injuring seven people Sunday morning while opening fight on two groups mid-fight. It wasn't clear what started the fight.
Pharoah Devonell Williams turned himself in Monday after police filed a warrant for his arrest. Williams was accused of injuring seven people Sunday morning while opening fire on two groups mid-fight. It wasn’t clear what started the fight. Photo Credit: Facebook

Williams is suspected of “discharging a firearm into the crowd that was fighting,” during the “course of the fight.” It was unclear how many people were fighting, though the police said that “seven individuals were injured as a result of the gunfire.” The extent of their injuries was not released but “all of the injured were treated for non-life-threatening injuries at a local hospital.”

Pharoah Devonell Williams reportedly has “numerous arrest warrants stemming from this incident.” At the time, the ACCPD said he was “armed and dangerous.” The department claimed that Crime Stoppers was “offering a $1,000 reward for information leading” to his arrest.

Anyone with information regarding Williams’ whereabouts was asked to notify law enforcement or contact the Crime Stoppers Tip Line at 706-705-4775. It’s not clear if anyone reported to law enforcement before Pharoah Williams turned himself in.

There were many large crowds in the area Saturday night and early Sunday morning. Many people were celebrating a big football win for The University of Georgia against Clemson University. Groups of fans, many drunk, were wandering the streets, celebrating, or lamenting Georgia’s victory. That’s when the shooting broke out, police said.

Libby Arnold, who witnessed the shooting, said that she had “never been through anything like that in my life. It was a terrible night. We didn’t ask for that.”

According to Arnold, she almost lost three family members who were leaving a restaurant on Clayton Street. She claimed that “the bullet ricocheted my son’s side” and “it hit him on his side.

It ricocheted from my nephew in his inner thigh and then hit my daughter’s best friend.” Libby Arnold told reporters that her son, nephew, and one of her family friends were three out of the seven people injured during the shooting. Arnold admitted that “we are all just lucky.”

According to Eugenio Mendez, a worker from downtown Athens, the scene was “scary.” He explained that it was especially frightening “because there’s a lot of college students here that you don’t want getting hurt.”

Lt. Shaun Barnett, who helped with the investigation, said that “we don’t feel like this was a random act where the general public is at risk. We think he was involved with the parties that were involved in the altercation.” It wasn’t immediately clear what the two groups were fighting about.

After the incident, Pharoah Devonell Williams was charged with seven counts of aggravated assault and one count of possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

Williams was being held on $10,000 bond, reports claimed. Williams remained in jail as of Tuesday morning.