Anyone who watches The Crown on Netflix knows the royals don’t like to show emotion. But Prince Charles broke from the norm today when he walked around to see the public tributes to his father, Prince Philip, who died at the age of 99.
Tears filled Charles’ eyes as he and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, viewed benches decorated with handmade cards and artwork, flower bouquets, and even a toy Land Rover, which was Prince Philip’s favorite British-made vehicle.
This was the couple’s first public appearance since the Duke of Edinburgh’s passing. You could see Camilla, 73, wiping away a tear, and Prince Charles, 72, looking dismayed.
A video message released on Saturday had Charles expressing his appreciation for all the support, saying his father “would have been amazed” by it all.
“My dear Papa was a very special person who I think above all else would have been amazed by the reaction and the touching things that have been said about him and from that point of view we are, my family, deeply grateful for all that,” he said in the video. “It will sustain us in this particular loss and at this particularly sad time.”
Pictures from Sky News revealed the heartfelt cards and tributes to Prince Philip. “Sending our love and condolences on the love of your beloved Prince Philip,” one card wrote to Queen Elizabeth. “Love, Layla, Lis and Nell xxxx”
Among others was a Land Rover, which is nearly identical to the one that will bear the Duke of Edinburgh’s coffin on Saturday. On the roof was written “The Duke R.I.P.”
“Your memory will never fade. Rest in Peace,” the card next to the vehicle said.
Another card had written: “Words cannot even begin to express our sorrow. You are in our prayers.”
The sad times have brought to light the importance of family. Despite Prince Charles and Prince Harry’s tense relationship the two shared a recent conversation over the phone before Harry flew to England earlier this week.
Of course, the whole family will come together on Sunday for the highly intimate and ceremonial royal funeral. With stringent Covid-19 guidelines affecting the proceedings, only 30 people will be allowed in while Philip’s coffin is processed through Windsor Castle from the entrance to the castle to the chapel.