Seth Kenney, the ammunition supplier for the Rust film, is being sued by Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, the movie’s armorer, who claims he gave her live rounds by mistake.
Blaming prop and ammo supplier PDQ Arm and Prop, LLC., she alleges that Seth Kenney is responsible for live ammunition getting on set, and she accuses the company of neglect. Gutierrez-Reed claims that Kenney and PDQ violated trade practices, had deceptive labels, and misrepresented themselves after selling her a cache of dummy rounds with live ammunition mixed in.
Investigators are still researching what happened on Oct. 21, when actor Alec Baldwin accidentally fired a prop gun that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza. The Rust movie set promptly shut down after the incident, with blame shifting between Baldwin, assistant director Dave Halls, armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, and now ammunition supplier Seth Kenney.
As Gutierrez-Reed prepares for a possible court battle about the tragic shooting accident, their newly filed lawsuit seeks to lay blame elsewhere and prove that she’s not liable.
According to the lawsuit, Kenney “sold, distributed, and advertised its props as dummy ammunition and not live rounds,” despite the fact that “Hannah relied upon and trusted that Defendants would only supply dummy prop ammunition, or blanks.”
“No live rounds were ever to be on set,” the suit continued.
The armorer said that interviews Kenney had with detectives and the media attempted to “direct” the criminal investigation toward her. She claims in the lawsuit that Kenney even shared text messages with detectives that appeared to show that the two had a “fallout.”
Gutierrez-Reed also insinuated that others, such as Alec Baldwin, Dave Halls, and prop master Sarah Zachry, should also be held responsible for not confirming that the prop gun wasn’t loaded before firing.
According to Baldwin, Halls handed him the gun and confirmed that it was “cold,” meaning empty and ready for use, before pointing it at the camera. Baldwin did not check that the gun was not loaded, and neither did Halls, who was fired after the incident.
Halls also allegedly told Gutierrez-Reed, whose time was split with prop duties, that guns would not be used in the scene where the incident occurred. She claims that Halls should have called her back to the set once they started taking weapons off the ammunition cart.
Seth Kenney and PDQ Arm and Prop, LLC. have yet to comment on Hannah Gutierrez-Reed’s claims in the lawsuit.
Though the district attorney in charge of the investigation has repeatedly said that there was no evidence of foul play in the Rust incident, Gutierrez-Reed’s lawyers have continually mentioned their belief that their client was the victim of “sabotage.”
Quiet on the specifics for months, her lawyers could have possibly been referring to the live ammunition accidentally mixed in with dummy rounds.
Previously, Gutierrez-Reed claimed that she had “no idea’ where the live rounds came from.
Interestingly, in an interview last month with Gutierrez-Reed’s father, Hollywood armorer Thell Reed, he claimed it was possible that the live ammunition may have been the father’s.
Meeting Seth Kenney on set for a film they worked on together back in August, he joined the ammunition supplier for firearm training with the actors. Reed told authorities that he brought extra ammunition with him, including roughly 200-300 rounds.
Returning home, he later realized that Kenney had grabbed his “ammo can” by mistake and phoned him to collect. According to Reed, Kenney told him to just “write it off” after several attempts to retrieve the rounds, and that it was possible that the live rounds could have come from that supply.
In response to Thell Reed’s claims, Seth Kenney’s lawyer Adam Engelskirchen stated in early December that “neither Mr. Kenney nor PDQ Arm & Prop, LLC provided live ammunition to the Rust production.”
“Reports in other media outlets that Mr. Kenney was part of the crew of Rust or was employed by the production to provide any sort of supervisory services are patently false,” he continued, adding that the search warrant issued contained “material misstatements of fact.”
As of Thursday, Jan. 13, no arrests have been made in the Rust investigation, and no official charges have been filed.