Thomas Markle claims he heard about Lili Diana’s birth “on the radio”. Meghan’s father said he would have been thrilled to celebrate the arrival of his granddaughter, but he never received a personal notice.
The former lighting director claimed that his daughter, Meghan Markle, 39, and her husband Prince Harry, 36, didn’t reach out to him after they welcomed their second child, Lilibet “Lili” Diana, on June 4. “I’m not a tearful type … but I’m certainly hurt by a lot of it,” Thomas, 76, said during an interview with 60 Minutes Australia, which aired on Sunday, June 13. “There’s a good chance I might never see my grandchildren.”
Meghan and Harry previously welcomed their son, Archie, in May 2019, and at the time, Thomas was “devastated” that he missed the birth. According to the book, Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan had the making of a modern royal family, Meghan asked her mother, Doria Ragland, to send a text message to Thomas Markle to let him know Archie had been born.
The book provides evidence that Thomas learned about the birth of Archie at the same time the rest of the world did. He expressed having regrets about not being more involved. About Lili Diana’s birth, Thomas said, “no phone calls, I just heard it on the radio.”
Meghan and her father haven’t been on the best of terms since he was seen staging photos for the paparazzi. This happened right before she was set to walk down the aisle in May 2018. “I haven’t spoken to [Meghan] since two days before they got married,” he admitted in the interview.
Thomas Markle gave an interview to TMZ, where he claimed that he decided not to attend Meghan and Harry’s wedding in order to avoid causing his daughter any further “embarrassment,” after the staged paparazzi photos stirred up major controversy. He also shared that he had suffered a heart attack before the royal event, though the nature of his current health issues is unknown.
Thomas was hopeful that he would be able to reconnect with his daughter since the former royals settled down in California. However, he claimed that hasn’t been the case. He claims he did nothing wrong to sour the ‘great relationship’ he’s had with his daughter. He still doesn’t understand what he did wrong “in order for him to be shut out of their lives,” the Mirror writes.
Thomas Markle has never met Meghan’s husband Prince Harry or either of his grandchildren. In an appearance on Oprah With Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special, Meghan said, “I just need you to tell me and if you tell me the truth we can help. And he wasn’t able to do that.”
Meghan probed her father further, saying that she and Harry had offered to try and “kill” the news story if he was in fact telling the truth. But Thomas wasn’t able to say that he was.
For years Meghan and Thomas have had a strained relationship, and now the 76-year-old’s past actions are catching up to him. Not speaking with his daughter and owning up to his actions means that he now cannot meet his grandchildren. And, according to Thomas, that is completely Meghan’s decision.
“No one should be obliged to sustain an unfulfilling relationship, familial or otherwise,” Grazia Daily writes. Meghan doesn’t owe him anything, least of all, a relationship with her or her children.
Thomas has expressed that he would be “disappointed” if he “never gets to hold [his] granddaughter.” But that is only by fault of his own, after allowing a private letter to be published and staging tabloid photos and stories before the royal wedding. Thomas shouldn’t be “confused” as to why he was cut out of Meghan and Harry’s lives, and why he most likely won’t meet his grandchildren, Archie and Lili Diana.