Before a judge decided on Tuesday that Tory Lanez, born Daystar Peterson, should have to stand trial for the shooting incident involving rapper Megan Thee Stallion, a detective revealed that a seemingly intoxicated Lanez shouted “dance b–tch” as he fired at her feet.
The incident occurred over a year ago in June 2020, brought to light after Megan Thee Stallion posted photos of her bloodied foot, shot with a bullet after Tory Lanez suddenly began firing. The two were leaving a pool party at Kylie Jenner’s house when the dispute took place, though it is unknown what led him to escalate the situation. Megan Thee Stallion previously told reporters that the two were not dating or romantically linked in any way.
Judge Keith Borjon upheld the decision that Tory Lanez should stand trial on the felony charges after hearing testimony from LAPD Detective Ryan Stogner, the lead investigator attempting to figure out what happened that night between the two artists.
“As she exited the vehicle, she heard Mr. Peterson yelling obscenities at her,” Detective Stogner told the Los Angeles County Superior Court judge at preliminary hearings about Megan Thee Stallion’s police report.
“He stated, ‘Dance, b–th!’ And he then began firing a weapon at her,” Stogner continued. “Megan immediately felt pain to her feet, observed blood, fell to the ground, and then crawled to an adjacent driveway of a residence… She described her injuries as bleeding profusely.”
In newly released information revealed by the LAPD detective, Kelsey Harris, Megan Thee Stallion’s friend and former assistant, was reportedly arguing with the “Savage” rapper right before she got out of Tory Lanez’ black Cadillac Escalade.
Harris was allegedly romantically interested in Tory Lanez and became enraged after the singer claimed that he and Megan the Stallion were sleeping together, which Megan denied.
Shawn Holley, Tory Lanez’ defense attorney, alleged that since gunshot residue was found on Harris’ hands, it was possible that she may have taken the shots instead of Tory.
Kelsey Harris has never been accused of assaulting Megan Thee Stallion and the case still remains focused on Tory Lanez. Detective Stogner later said that gunshot residue could be transferred just by being “in the vicinity,” with the court seemingly letting Lanez’ defense attorney implicate a third party before moving on.
Megan Thee Stallion later claimed in Instagram Live videos that Tory Lanez called her and offered her money to keep quiet about the shooting since he was since on probation.
“Tory shot me. You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people going to these blogs, lying and s–t,” she said in the video. “Stop lying. Why lie? I don’t understand. I tried to keep the situation off the internet, but you’re dragging it.”
Tory Lanez posted bail and has plead not guilty. He’s facing a maximum sentence of just under 23 years if convicted, for both the shooting and violating his probation by possessing a concealed firearm in his vehicle. His trial is set to begin on Jan. 13, where he faces one count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm, and one count of carrying a concealed, unregistered weapon.
The singer also violated his restraining order by appearing at the Rolling Loud Music Festival she performed at alongside rapper DaBaby.
“I didn’t tell the police what happened immediately right then because I didn’t want to die. I don’t want the police to shoot me,” Megan Thee Stallion said, sharing that she was scared in the wake of George Floyd’s police shooting.
“Even though he shot me, I tried to spare him,” she told Tory Lanez’ supporters about DaBaby remaining friends with him. “And ya’ll m—–f—–s is not sparing me? That’s crazy.”