Police found five human fetuses in Lauren Handy‘s home. DC officers are investigating the incident and trying to figure out what happened. The anti-abortion activist was recently charged for blocking access to a reproduction health center.

According to reports, Washington D.C. police were called to Handy’s home on the 400 block of 6th Street SE on Wednesday afternoon. Officers had gotten reports of potential bio-hazard material at the home, a statement by the Metropolitan Police Department said.

WUSA9 reporters, who were outside the home when the fetuses were discovered, captured video footage showing officers leaving the home with red biohazard bags and coolers. It is unclear how Lauren Handy gained access to the five fetuses.

Lauren Handy fetuses
DC Police found five fetuses in Lauren Handy’s home. It is unclear if the anti-abortion activist was charged, she is currently being investigated for blocking a reproductive health clinic in October 2020. (Credit: Facebook)

The five fetuses were taken by the D.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. The medical examiner is investigating how the fetuses died and where they came from. DC Police Executive Assist. Chief of Police Ashan M. Benedict said that the fetuses appeared to have been aborted legally.

He said, “There doesn’t appear to be anything criminal about that — except for how they got into that house.”

Lauren Handy has not been arrested or charged for having the fetuses in her home. She refused to speak to reporters on video but told them that she knew that the police raid would happen “sooner or later,” and said that “people would freak out when they heard.”

Before the human remains were found in her DC home, the anti-abortion activist was charged for blocking access to a reproduction health care clinic back in October 2020. The charges were officially announced on Wednesday. According to reports, Handy and eight other people were charged with conspiracy against rights and violating the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act.

The FACE Act prohibits people from physically blocking or threatening someone who is seeking reproductive health treatment. The law also prohibits damaging abortion clinics and reproductive health clinics. If convicted, Handy and the eight other anti-abortion activists could face up to 11 years in prison each.

In October 2020, the anti-abortion activist pretended to be a woman named “Hazel Jenkins,” to gain access to the health clinic. She claimed that she was seeking services, according to an unsealed federal indictment. Handy and eight others allegedly forced their way into the clinic and blocked the doors so patients couldn’t come in.

The group also intimidated and threatened clinic employees and patients who were already in the building. According to the indictment, five members of the group chained themselves to chairs and blocked the treatment area.

The attack on the clinic was livestreamed on Facebook. Jonathan Darnel, one of Handy’s co-defendants, said on the livestream, “[T]he rescuers are doing their job. They’re not allowing women to enter the abortion clinic. As long as they’re in there, no women can go in to kill their children.”

It was the federal investigation that led police to Handy’s home, and the discovery of the human remains.

The federal prosecutor representing Handy in the federal indictment has not commented on the five fetuses. Progressive Anti-Abortion Uprising, where Handy is the director of activism, tweeted on Thursday and said, “We will address the claims surrounding the 5 deceased children found at Lauren Handy’s apartment at a press conference in DC. Tune in on Tuesday at 11:30am EST. Don’t miss it.”

Handy founded the anti-abortion group Mercy Missions, and according to police reports she has a history of legal issues regarding her actions. In 2015, a DC school filed a civil complaint against Handy after she was caught trespassing outside the school.